Saturday, February 9, 2013

Captain America ... NOW

Yesterday I drew Cap in his classic togs, and today I drew him in his "Marvel Now" outfit. I must admit, I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with costume redesigns. Any redesign is fun and interesting for a few months, but then the novelty wears off and it becomes clear that the classic costume is classic for a reason. And the formula for redesigns these days is pretty conservative: Keep the silhouette and colors, add "real world" detail (and detail for the sake of detail), and you have yourself a hip design that today's streetwise youths will go ape for. Say what you will about the redesigns from the 90s but they were ambitious. This is what Batman looked like and this is what Superman looked like. I should draw them on another day ... but for now, here's "Marvel Now" Captain America (with eagle).




No comments:

Post a Comment